Fanning and Darmody listings in Bassett’s trade directory for Co Tipperary Ireland 1889.
Bassett’s Directory by George Henry Bassett was a manual and directory for manufacturers, merchants, traders, professional men, land-owners, farmers, tourists, anglers and sportsmen generally. It was published in 1889.
All of Bassett’s Directory for County Tipperary is on the Rare Clonmel site.
After their occupation, the street or townland is listed, followed by the town name.
Mrs C Fanning Farmers, Residents, LissaroonBouladuff. Bouladuff is a townland of 252 acres 3 roods 17 perches in the Civil Parish of Inch.
Records of land sales and leases 1781-1853 in Co Tipperary Ireland for Fanning, Fannin and Darmody individuals.
7 August 1781 Lease of Knockane. George Ryan of Inch to John Murphy, Patrick Murphy, Michael Murphy and Nicolas Fannin, Farmers of Knockane, for the term of 31 years at an annual rent of 21 pounds. Rent payable in two moieties on the 1 May and 1 Nov. Turf rights are not included and a penalty of 20 shillings will be levied on every kish of turf removed.
27 Oct 1781 Lease of the Bogg of Inch (21a). George Ryan of Inch to Philip Darmody of [Fishmoy], at an annual rent of £10. Rent payable in two moieties on the 1 May and 1 Nov. page 32 Source: Ryan Documents
To let 1816:- Drom House- 50a. in the house division. Lands lately held by William Russell and Ed. Fanning. Source: Rootsweb CoTipperary-L-Archives contributed by Mary Heaphy.
19 April 1836 Copy letter to (Chief Secretary) Drummond from George Ryan, Inch, enclosing a letter to the Lord Lieutenant from Rev. Mulcahy a response to a memorial for David Fanning, currently under sentence of transportation. Ryan adds “a more daring and desperate character is not to be found in this neighbourhood”. Source: Ryan Documents.
Encumbered Estate Records In the aftermath of the Famine, the Government established the Incumbered Estate Court to deal with bankrupt estates. The petitioner before the court had to prepare details of the estates, including the tenancies. During the period 1850-58, 8,000 estates were sold and information on such estates had to be prepared
1. The Estate of Robert Lidwill, a minor, Owner of the lands of Cormackstown, otherwise Ballymacormacksituate in the Parish of Holycross, Barony of Eliogarty and County Tipperary. Two of the tenants names are: William Fanning & Widow Fanning. Their leases were year to year leases. Source: Tipperary Encumbered Estate Records.
2.Estate of Thomas P Firman of Mount Falkner Tipperary – Sale Notice contributed by Clare Tuohy. Lands of Grange in the Barony of Eliogarty held forever under a fee-farm grant. Sold by auction 18th May1852. Grange: Tenants name is Patrick Tuohy and the area of land is 88 acres 1 rod and 5 perches . Under tenure is written “Lease date 14th May 1839, made between Thomas P. Firman of Mount Falkner, in the County of Tipperary and Patrick Tuohy of Lower Grange, Tipperary, farmer, of the other part; for 3 lives or 31 years , lives all in being, viz. John Tuohy aged 20 years, William McGrath now in America aged 30 years and Thomas Fanning now in America, aged 30 years.” Source: Tipperary Encumbered Estate Records.
3. The encumbered estate of John Craven Carden, Bart.,Owner Sale 13 Dec. 1853 Situate in the Barony of Eliogarty, Clondotty. Tenant’s names: William Fanning Tenancy from year to year John Gleeson & William Fanning Tenancy from year to year. Source: Tipperary Encumbered Estate Records.
Fanning and Darmody poor relief rate payers in Co Tipperary Ireland in 1848.
Rate Relief of the Poor
“At the beginning of the Nineteenth Century in Ireland poverty was widespread. The population had more than doubled in the course of a century and had reached six and a half million. It is estimated that over two million were nearly destitute and at starvation level.
The problem was not one that could be ignored any longer by the British Government. Examination of the situation in Committee lead to a variety of remedies including public works projects, emigration and the introduction of a system of Poor Law. However the growing influx of Irish emigrants to Britain was a matter of increasing concern.
In September 1833, yet another Royal Commission was established. It was chaired by Dr. R Whately, the Protestant Archbishop of Dublin. In the following year the Poor Law Amendment Act was passed which introduced a new system of poor relief to England and Wales. The Workhouse was to be the only method of relief for the poor. At the time it was considered unsuitable for Ireland where the able-bodied were more than willing to accept any work that came their way.
Lord, John Russell the Secretary of State for the Home Department felt that the Commission had overstepped their brief. He decided to send George Nicholls one of the English Poor Law Commissioners to Ireland to investigate the situation. He was to assess whether a system based on Poor Relief, funded by a local poor rate would be effective. He was also to find out whether a workhouse system could be established. Nicholls travelled throughout Ireland. He failed to acknowledge that the needs of Ireland were substantially different to those of England. He recommended that Ireland adopt the English Workhouse System.
His recommendations were influential because in 1837 a bill, The Poor Law Act Ireland 1838, was introduced in Parliament. The Irish Poor Relief System was to be financed by a local poor rate. It met with opposition from landlords who were perturbed about the expense of the poor rate. Tenants criticised the bill also because they were in dread of confinement to a workhouse. However, in spite of its critics the bill became law, and in July 1838 the “Act for the Effectual Relief of the Destitute Poor in Ireland” was passed.
The Poor Law Commissioners for England and Wales were to have control of the implementation of this act for Ireland. George Nicholls was appointed Commissioner and he was assisted by four assistant commissioners based in Belfast, Dublin, Cork and Limerick. The country was to be divided into Poor Law Unions based on the Irish electoral divisions. The electoral divisions were made up of townlands. Each Union was obliged to provide a workhouse for their destitute poor. A Board of Guardians was elected in each union to administer the Poor Law. A compulsory rate was levied in each union to finance their system. The granting of relief was at the discretion of the Poor Law Guardians. Priority was given to the aged and infirm, children and people resident within the Union concerned. Boards of Guardians were elected annually on the 25th March, and only cess payers could vote. Later in the nineteenth century the Poor Law developed to encompass services such as outdoor relief, medical services for the poor, assisted migration and other social services.” From Askaboutireland
Fanning, Fannin and Darmody rate relief payers under individual parishes:
Rate Relief for the Poor of Thurles Union 10 Oct 1848 Moycarkey: John Fanning , Grague; Wm. Fanning, Grague; Patt Fanning , Maxforth; Joe Fanning , Pouldine.
Rate Relief for the Poor of the Thurles Union 1842 Templeree E.D.: Michl. Fanning- Strogue.
Rate Relief for the Poor of the Thurles Union Templemore E.D. 30 June 1846- Part 2: Wm. Fanning – Barrack St (Houses only).
Rate Relief for the Poor of Thurles Union Buolick E.D. 19 Nov 1844: Ballynastick- Thos. Fanning.
Rate Relief for the Poor of Thurles Union Ballymureen E.D. 20 Jan 1846: Parkstown – Joseph Fanning (immediate lessor).
Rate Relief for the Poor of Thurles Union: Inch E.D. 9 Dec 1845: William Fanning – Lissaroon: 33 acres,3 rods no perches. Lissaroon is a townland of 296 acres 1 rood 1 perch and is covered by O.S. Maps 40 & 41 . Civil Parish of Inch, RC Parish of Drom and Inch.
Poor Law Union Thurles Moyne Electoral Division 21 Nov 1843: Connor Fanning Lisdonowley House & Land; Wm Faning Castletown House & Land; James Fanning immediate lessor Cooleeny House & Land; Margret Darmody immediate lessor Moynetemple H&L.
Poor Law Union Thurles Borrisoleigh E.D. 30 June 1846: John Fanning Rathmoyne immediate lessor; Joseph Fanning Knockahorna (Knockharney?); John Fanning Knockahorna (Knockharney?); Mary Fanning Knockahorna immediate lessor; Wm. Fanning Knockahorna immediate lessor; Danl. & Joh Fanning Knockanevin; Mary Fanning Knockanevin; Larry Fanning Corrigeen & Cullohil (Carrigeen & Cullahill?); Luke Fanning Corrigeen & Cullohil; Wm. Fanning immediate lessor Burrisoleigh; Teoffy Fanning ‘ immediate lessor Burrisoleigh; Patt Darmody Newtown.
Thurles Poor Law Union Drom E.D. 27 Jan 1846: John Fanning Killahagan; Cath. Fanning Killahagan; John Fanning Killahagan; John Fanning Killvilcorris; Joseph Fanning Killvilcorris; Thos. Fanning Killvilcorris; Denis Darmody Ballinlonty; Wm. Darmody Ballinlonty; Patt Darmody Ballinlonty; Daniel Darmody Fishmoyne; John & Jas Fanning Drum (Drom); Anastience Fanning Drum; Thos. Fanning Ballynastick.
Thurles Poor Law Union Ballymureen E.D.: Joseph Fanning Parkstown immediate lessor.
Holycross E.D 31 Jan 1842: Richd. Fanning Glenreagh; Richard Fanning Grange; Widow Fanning Grange; William Darmody Beakstown; John Darmody Beakstown; Thos. Darmody Beakstown.
Loughmoe East E.D. 31 Jan 1842: Patrick Fanning Corguilla; John Fanning Gortreagh; John Fanning Graugeafrihane; Nicholas Fanning Graugeafrihane; Thomas Fanning Graugeafrihane; John Fanning Kilerak; Widow Fanning Kilerak; John Fanning Skeagh; Patrick Fanning Skeagh.
Loughmoe West E.D. 9 Dec 1845: Michael Darmody Ballybristy; Philip Darmody Ballybristy; Edmd. Fanning Carrig of Loughmore immediate lessor; John Fanning Cloone immediate lessor; Patt Fanning Cloone; Philip Darmody Kill; Catherine Fanning Lishenataggart.
Twomileborris E.D. 31 Jan 1842: Thomas Fanning Clodfields; Widow Fanning (Mary?) Clodfields; Edmond Fanning Garraun; John Fanning Garraun; Widow Fanning (Margaret?) Garraun; Joseph Fanning Garraun; Widow Fanning (Mary?) Garraun; Michael Fanning Ballybeg; Joseph Fanning Derryhogan.
Thurles E.D. 8 Dec 1846: Commons: John Fanning (Lisnagonoge?); John Fanning (Lisnagonoge?); Garryvicleheen: Patt Fanning; Kearn’s Ln: Patt Fanning; Main St West: John Fanning; Kilrush: Thos. Fanning; Knockane: Wm. Darmody; John Fanning; Little or Upper Lewagh: Cath. Fanning; Loughtagalla: Mary Fanning; Mary Fanning; Main St: Pat Fanning; Nicholas St: John Fanning; Pike St: Edwd. Fanning; Pudding Lane: Edwd. Fanning; Edwd. Fanning; Edmd Fanning; Edwd. Fanning; John Fanning; Seskin: John Fanning; Michl Darmody; Toreen: Michl. Fanning; Turtulla: Richd. Fanning; Margt Fanning.
Fanning and Darmody entries in the Religious Census of 1766 for Co Tipperary Ireland.
The largest religious census was undertaken in 1766. Each Church of Ireland minister was asked to provide a listing of all members of each denomination in his parish.
The number after the name gives the number of people in the household.
Parish of Donoghil (Tipperary South)1766 : Michael Darmody, Thomas Darmody, Walter Darmody, James Darmody
Parish of Killevinogue: Thomas Darmody 6, John Darmody 4, William Darmody 3.
Parish of Knockgraffon (Tipperary South): Mich Fanning, John Fanning
Parish of Mealiffe or Moyaliffe (6 miles S.W. from Thurles): David Fannin 6, David Fannin.
Cullen, Soloheadmore, Soloheadbeg and Cluggin. 1766: Jonathan Darmody.
United parishes of Latin, Bruis, Shronill, Corrogue, Clonpet & Cordangan -,Civil Parishes in South Tipperary. Adjoining names will be neighbours: John Ryan, Timothy Nihill, William Ryan, James Giffin [Griffin], Richard Molowny, Daniel Ryan, John Shehane [Sheehan], Daniel Ryan, William Fannin, William Pendergast, Darby Murphy, James Murphy, Thomas Glasheen, Cornelius Raverty, Malachy Dunnavane, John Hackett, Roger Corbet, Darby Reardon, Pat Comenane (Cummin], Richard Power, John Fannin, Robert Fannin.
Tithes (meaning a tenth) were levies collected in support of a church, which could be a single church or all churches of one faith. In Ireland from the 1500s to the 1800s, tithes were taxes on the agricultural system to support the Church of Ireland. Tithes made everyone cross, for many reasons. Those who were Catholic or Presbyterian resented the contribution to the established church. Land proprietors resented the impact of tithes on rents.
Tithes existed in Ireland as long ago as the 1100s, giving support to monasteries. The system that came to be resented so much was formalized in law in 1541. In 1736 legislation exempted pasture from the calculation so the burden fell upon farmers who cultivated the soil. Not all tithes went to the Church of Ireland; in 1832 a little over 15% went to “lay” (non-religious) tithe owners who acquired the right to collect tithes at the dissolution of the monasteries.
By the early 1800s resentment had become very serious. Tithes had been part of the cause of rural unrest in the late 1700s; in the 1830s, the disruptions came to be called the Tithe War. The campaign against tithes began in County Kilkenny and spread quickly to other counties. By 1833, more than half the tithes due in 22 counties had not been paid. Many landowners supported non-payment because legislation of 1823 restored pastureland to the calculation. The resistance became violent, and some deaths occurred among protestors and police.
Faced with an impossible situation, the authorities stopped trying to enforce payment and clergymen without income could apply for relief. In 1838 the tithe ceased to be paid by occupiers and landlords were levied a “rent charge.” The problem completely disappeared at the disestablishment of the Church of Ireland (1869).
The Tithe Composition Act, passed in 1823, set out the process by which the tithe was converted to a monetary payment due twice a year. Property value was assessed, meetings were held in parishes, and records made of all those who were to make the payments. These are the Tithe Applotment Books.
At the time of the Tithe War any clergyman applying for relief was required to report on the situation in his parish including the names of all those who had failed to pay–the tithe defaulters. Lists of roughly 30,000 defaulters survive. ” From Ancestry.com article by Sherry Irvine
Fanning, Fannin & Darmody Entries in the Co Tipperary Tithe Applotment Books : A-R-P = Acres, Rods & Perches (Irish) H, O, L, G = House, Office, Land, Garden.
Ballymurreen Civil Parish 1827, Thurles Poor Law Union: Joseph Fanning, Parkstown .
BruisCivil Parish 1832: Robert Fanning of Mount Bruis Townland.
Cordangan Civil Parish 1835: John Fannin of Lacken.
1834-1837 Daniel Darmody Kilfithmone, William Darmody Kilfithmone.
Civil Parish ofKilmurry 1834: Patrick Fanning Ballinamona Townland.
Parish ofKnockgraffon 1826 : Patrick (Mary) Fanning of Loughkent, William Fanning of Donegal.
Parish ofLoughmore West April 1827: Michael Darmody Ballybrista, Denis Darmody Killahara, Philip Darmody Killahara, Edward Fanning Carraig-Loughmore, John Fanning Clondoty.
Loughmore East of River Suir: Edw. Darmody Graiguefrehane, Nicholas Fanning Graiguefrehane, Michael Fanning Killenleigh.
Parish of Loughmore East otherwise Callabegs Earl of Carrick April 1825: John Fanen Gurthreagh, Patrick Fanen Skeogh, Patrick. Fanen Skeogh.
Civil Parish of Mora 1824: John Fanning of Ballanattin Upper.
Parish of Moyaliff 1837 : John Fanning, Rossmult.
MoycarkyCivil Parish 1829: Joseph Fannin, Drumgower, Lawrence Fannin, Graigue, William Fannin, Graigue, William Fannin Kilnoe.
Civil Parish of Moyne 1828: James Fanning of Moyne Temple, James Fanning of Lisdonolly.
Civil Parish ofNenagh 1828: Ned Fanning of Spout Road.
Tithe Applotments RoscreaCivil Parish, no date given:Ml Darmody Killavilla, Ml Darmody Killavilla, Ml Darmody Benaghmore District, Pierce Darmody, Pierce Darmody Benaghmore District , Pierce Darmody Carrick , Pierce Darmody Killavilla, Edwd Fanning Big Matt House District, Patt Fanning Ballychary, Patt Fanning Streamstown.
Parish ofTempleree c 1823: John Fanin Gurtadanagan
Civil Parish of Templtouhy 1815-1821: Richard Fanning of Lisdaleen
Tithe Applotment Entries 1833, Thurles Civil Parish: Casontown ? Edward Fanning, Brittas Road or North West Suburb, James Fanning Casontown, John Fanning Knockroe, John Fanning Tooreen, Michael Fanning Castle Hounie?, Michael Fanning Commons, Patk Fanning Bawntameena, Pat Fanning?, Bawntameena, Pat Fanning?
Parish ofUpperchurch c 1829/30: Jeremiah Darmody Moher.
Civil Parish of Inch: Edmond Fannin, farmer, Townland of Buckley Islands, 1831
Widow Burke alias Fannin, farmer, Inch, 1831
Edmond Callanan & John Cullinan, Upper Dovea.
Townland of Lissaroon: John Cormac, Patrick Banan, William Purcell, William Carroll, Patrick Ryan, William Fannin, farmer, Thomas Cormac, Edmond Purcell, John Purcell, William Purcell, Walter Purcel.
Civil Parish ofKilfithmone: Daniel Darmody 1831 Fishmoyne, William Darmody Ballinlonty 1831.
Civil Parish ofKilmurry1831, Patrick Fanning, farmer, Ballynamona .
Civil Parish ofThurles 1831: Michael Fanning, farmer, Thurles; Patrick Fanning, farmer, Thurles; Patrick Fanning, farmer, Seskin; John Fanning, farmer, Seskin; Michael Fanning, farmer, Leighmore (Loughmore?); Oliver Fanning, farmer, Race Course; Michael Fanning, farmer, Toureen.
Civil Parish ofMoycarkey 1831: William Fannin farmer, Kilno; Joseph Fannin, farmer, Drumgour; William Fannin, farmer, Grague.
The brothers, Daniel and William Cormack, from Loughmore Co Tipperary were publicly hanged outside Nenagh Gaol on May 11, 1858 after being found guilty of the murder of John Ellis, a land agent in Loughmore.
Daniel and William always maintained that they had played no part in the crime, and they were supported by some 2,357 people who signed a petition protesting the brothers’ innocence. The commonly held view at the time was that a local landlord had shot Ellis in a crime of passion involving Ellis’ sister, and that the Cormack brothers had been framed for murder.
Motivated by growing unease at the convictions and executions, a petition was organized for presentation to Parliament that requested the setting up of an inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the conviction of the Cormack Brothers and into the administration of criminal justice in Ireland generally.
Andrew Darmody Hollyford, Darby Darmody Hollyford, George Darmody Moyne,
John Darmody Holycross, John Darmody Clerihan, Owen Darmody Hollyford, Thomas Darmody Hollyford, Tobias Darmody Hollyford, Jeremiah Darmody signed the petition.
Fannings who signed this petition were Daniel Fanning Thurles, Jeffry Fanning Thurles, William Fanning Thurles, Edward Fanning Drom, John Fanning Drom, Thomas Fanning Drom, Edward (Edmond) Fanning Two-Mile-Borris, Edmond Fanning Two-Mile-Borris, John Fanning New Birmingham, Joseph Fanning Moycarkey, William Fanning Moyne, William Fanning Roscrea, John Fanning Borrisoleigh.
In 1910 Daniel and William’s remains were removed from Nenagh Gaol and brought home to Loughmore in a major ceremony, with two hearses drawn by plumed horses and followed by huge crowds. After the procession arrived in the village, the Cormack brothers were buried in a large mausoleum in the local churchyard, where people still go to see the original oak coffins and the inscription proclaiming the brothers’ innocence.