The largest religious census was undertaken in 1766. Each Church of Ireland minister was asked to provide a listing of all members of each denomination in his parish.
The number after the name gives the number of people in the household.
Parish of Donoghil (Tipperary South)1766 : Michael Darmody, Thomas Darmody, Walter Darmody, James Darmody
Parish of Killevinogue: Thomas Darmody 6, John Darmody 4, William Darmody 3.
Parish of Knockgraffon (Tipperary South): Mich Fanning, John Fanning
Parish of Mealiffe or Moyaliffe (6 miles S.W. from Thurles): David Fannin 6, David Fannin.
Cullen, Soloheadmore, Soloheadbeg and Cluggin. 1766: Jonathan Darmody.
United parishes of Latin, Bruis, Shronill, Corrogue, Clonpet & Cordangan -,Civil Parishes in South Tipperary. Adjoining names will be neighbours: John Ryan, Timothy Nihill, William Ryan, James Giffin [Griffin], Richard Molowny, Daniel Ryan, John Shehane [Sheehan], Daniel Ryan, William Fannin, William Pendergast, Darby Murphy, James Murphy, Thomas Glasheen, Cornelius Raverty, Malachy Dunnavane, John Hackett, Roger Corbet, Darby Reardon, Pat Comenane (Cummin], Richard Power, John Fannin, Robert Fannin.
Tithes (meaning a tenth) were levies collected in support of a church, which could be a single church or all churches of one faith. In Ireland from the 1500s to the 1800s, tithes were taxes on the agricultural system to support the Church of Ireland. Tithes made everyone cross, for many reasons. Those who were Catholic or Presbyterian resented the contribution to the established church. Land proprietors resented the impact of tithes on rents.
Tithes existed in Ireland as long ago as the 1100s, giving support to monasteries. The system that came to be resented so much was formalized in law in 1541. In 1736 legislation exempted pasture from the calculation so the burden fell upon farmers who cultivated the soil. Not all tithes went to the Church of Ireland; in 1832 a little over 15% went to “lay” (non-religious) tithe owners who acquired the right to collect tithes at the dissolution of the monasteries.
By the early 1800s resentment had become very serious. Tithes had been part of the cause of rural unrest in the late 1700s; in the 1830s, the disruptions came to be called the Tithe War. The campaign against tithes began in County Kilkenny and spread quickly to other counties. By 1833, more than half the tithes due in 22 counties had not been paid. Many landowners supported non-payment because legislation of 1823 restored pastureland to the calculation. The resistance became violent, and some deaths occurred among protestors and police.
Faced with an impossible situation, the authorities stopped trying to enforce payment and clergymen without income could apply for relief. In 1838 the tithe ceased to be paid by occupiers and landlords were levied a “rent charge.” The problem completely disappeared at the disestablishment of the Church of Ireland (1869).
The Tithe Composition Act, passed in 1823, set out the process by which the tithe was converted to a monetary payment due twice a year. Property value was assessed, meetings were held in parishes, and records made of all those who were to make the payments. These are the Tithe Applotment Books.
At the time of the Tithe War any clergyman applying for relief was required to report on the situation in his parish including the names of all those who had failed to pay–the tithe defaulters. Lists of roughly 30,000 defaulters survive. ” From Ancestry.com article by Sherry Irvine
Fanning, Fannin & Darmody Entries in the Co Tipperary Tithe Applotment Books : A-R-P = Acres, Rods & Perches (Irish) H, O, L, G = House, Office, Land, Garden.
Ballymurreen Civil Parish 1827, Thurles Poor Law Union: Joseph Fanning, Parkstown .
BruisCivil Parish 1832: Robert Fanning of Mount Bruis Townland.
Cordangan Civil Parish 1835: John Fannin of Lacken.
1834-1837 Daniel Darmody Kilfithmone, William Darmody Kilfithmone.
Civil Parish ofKilmurry 1834: Patrick Fanning Ballinamona Townland.
Parish ofKnockgraffon 1826 : Patrick (Mary) Fanning of Loughkent, William Fanning of Donegal.
Parish ofLoughmore West April 1827: Michael Darmody Ballybrista, Denis Darmody Killahara, Philip Darmody Killahara, Edward Fanning Carraig-Loughmore, John Fanning Clondoty.
Loughmore East of River Suir: Edw. Darmody Graiguefrehane, Nicholas Fanning Graiguefrehane, Michael Fanning Killenleigh.
Parish of Loughmore East otherwise Callabegs Earl of Carrick April 1825: John Fanen Gurthreagh, Patrick Fanen Skeogh, Patrick. Fanen Skeogh.
Civil Parish of Mora 1824: John Fanning of Ballanattin Upper.
Parish of Moyaliff 1837 : John Fanning, Rossmult.
MoycarkyCivil Parish 1829: Joseph Fannin, Drumgower, Lawrence Fannin, Graigue, William Fannin, Graigue, William Fannin Kilnoe.
Civil Parish of Moyne 1828: James Fanning of Moyne Temple, James Fanning of Lisdonolly.
Civil Parish ofNenagh 1828: Ned Fanning of Spout Road.
Tithe Applotments RoscreaCivil Parish, no date given:Ml Darmody Killavilla, Ml Darmody Killavilla, Ml Darmody Benaghmore District, Pierce Darmody, Pierce Darmody Benaghmore District , Pierce Darmody Carrick , Pierce Darmody Killavilla, Edwd Fanning Big Matt House District, Patt Fanning Ballychary, Patt Fanning Streamstown.
Parish ofTempleree c 1823: John Fanin Gurtadanagan
Civil Parish of Templtouhy 1815-1821: Richard Fanning of Lisdaleen
Tithe Applotment Entries 1833, Thurles Civil Parish: Casontown ? Edward Fanning, Brittas Road or North West Suburb, James Fanning Casontown, John Fanning Knockroe, John Fanning Tooreen, Michael Fanning Castle Hounie?, Michael Fanning Commons, Patk Fanning Bawntameena, Pat Fanning?, Bawntameena, Pat Fanning?
Parish ofUpperchurch c 1829/30: Jeremiah Darmody Moher.
Civil Parish of Inch: Edmond Fannin, farmer, Townland of Buckley Islands, 1831
Widow Burke alias Fannin, farmer, Inch, 1831
Edmond Callanan & John Cullinan, Upper Dovea.
Townland of Lissaroon: John Cormac, Patrick Banan, William Purcell, William Carroll, Patrick Ryan, William Fannin, farmer, Thomas Cormac, Edmond Purcell, John Purcell, William Purcell, Walter Purcel.
Civil Parish ofKilfithmone: Daniel Darmody 1831 Fishmoyne, William Darmody Ballinlonty 1831.
Civil Parish ofKilmurry1831, Patrick Fanning, farmer, Ballynamona .
Civil Parish ofThurles 1831: Michael Fanning, farmer, Thurles; Patrick Fanning, farmer, Thurles; Patrick Fanning, farmer, Seskin; John Fanning, farmer, Seskin; Michael Fanning, farmer, Leighmore (Loughmore?); Oliver Fanning, farmer, Race Course; Michael Fanning, farmer, Toureen.
Civil Parish ofMoycarkey 1831: William Fannin farmer, Kilno; Joseph Fannin, farmer, Drumgour; William Fannin, farmer, Grague.
The Hearth Money Rolls “contain the muster roll of the inhabitants of Tipperary five years after the restoration of Charles II and thirteen years after the surrender of the last organised Irish forces. The Hearth Money Tax was introduced soon after the return of Charles II as it afforded a convenient instrument for extracting the last farthing from a defeated race.” (Thomas Laffan).
The Bishop of Cashel and Emly, Rev. Dr. Thomas Fennelly wrote an introduction to Thomas Laffan’s “Hearth Money Records” and this is part of what he wrote:
” They are intstructive in this – that they bear testimony to a remarkable historical fact, illustrating the tenacity with which the Irish people clung to the soil of their native land, in spite of the repeated efforts of the Invader to allienate them from it.
These lists were drawn up less than twenty years after the slaughter connected with the Cromwellian war, and the clearances effected by the Cromwellian Settlement, and the wonder is that any Irish names appear on them. But, singular to relate, the vast majority of the names are those of the native Irish. In the Cromwellian Settlement the Irish Inhabitants, except a few of the labouring class, were ordered to depart to Connaught, where possessions were assigned to them in lieu of those from which they were expelled, and their former holdings were parcelled out amongst the Cromwellian soldiers and adventurers. In this way the whole of the County Tipperary was taken from its lawful owners, and carefully allotted to English and Scotch settlers, proportionately to the nature of the services rendered, or the money subscribed to the expenses of the war.
The names of the new occupiers are given at length in “Prendergast’s Cromwellian Settlement” and, comparing them with these lists, it can be seen that the Cromwellian soldiers and adventurers had almost entirely disappeared in the brief interval, and the Tipperarymen were back again in the homes of their ancestors. The short tenure of these merciless plunderers can be attributed mainly to the following causes:-First, they were unused to farming, and therefore they had neither the skill nor the industry which was essential to the successful cultivation of the soil. Secondly, they were located on separate portions of land, and in that way they became easy prey to those dashing spirits, who did not go to Connaught, but took to the mountains and the bogs, whence they made nightly incursions into the neighbouring farms, and abstracted from them cattle and corn and other portable goods. This annoyance was too much for the late comers, and to avoid it they sold out their goods and departed. Thirdly, many of the Cromwellian landlords kept the native Irish as tenants, irrespective of the law of Transportation. To these may be added sevearl minor causes, amongst them being the protection of the Ormonde family, which regained its ascendancy after the stormy times had passed away. But, notwithstanding all explanation, it is very singular that plot designed and executed with such systematic care should have completely failed in so short a period, and that the native Irish were back again on the soil that belonged to them by the Law of Nations and by immemorial Right.”
The Hearth Money Act 1662 provided that there was to be a tax of two shillings “for every fire, hearth, or other place used for fireing and stoves ” (Laffan). The rolls consist of the names of householder who paid the hearth tax, it is arranged on a county, parish and townland basis.
Tipperary is almost unique in the Irish counties in having her rolls complete.
1665 Baronia de Middle Third:
Parochia de Drangan: Edmond Fanning 1hearth 2 shillings.
Census of Ireland 1659 was compiled by Sir William Petty and edited by Seamus Pender. It gave the names of those who held title to the land and the total number of persons resident in each townland.
The format was as follows : Parishes, Townlands, Numbers of People Tituladoes Names: Eng. (Scotts) Irish. It gives the names of those who held title to the land and the total number of persons (English and Irish) resident in each townland, it also lists the principal Irish names in each barony and their number. According to Pender the term “Titulado” is best explained as referring to the principal person or persons of standing in any particular locality; such a person could have been of either sex, a nobleman, baronet, gentleman, esquire, military officer, or adventurer. The returns also give the names and numbers of the principal Irish, by barony.
In the Barony of Sleavordagh in Penders’ Census 1659, C0. Tipperary there are 31 Fanninges listed under “Principall Irish Names their Number”. The number of people in this Barony being 307 English and 2101 Irish.
In the Parish of Ballingarry at the place Mohobbur are 23 people and at the place Ballingarry there are 53. The Tituladoes or principal occupiers being Jeffery Fannying Esq and William Fannyng gent.
In the Parish of Killenule at the place Killeens there are 22 people with the tituladoe being Thomas Fannynge gent.
In Middlethird Barony there are 10 Faninges living.
In Pigot’s Directory for 1824 Thurles is described as “an ancient and very respectable market town distant from Dublin 70 miles, from Kilkenny, by the mail road, 23 miles, from Limerick 36, and from Clonmel, by the mail road 23 miles.
It is pleasantly situated on the river Suir, and extends on each bank, to the distance of an English mile. The main street is one hundred and ten English perches in length, crosses the river at right angles, from east to west, and forms a large open and regular street, 170 feet wide at the west end, and regularly decreasing to 85 feet at the bridge; on the other side of the river it is 72 feet wide, from the bridge to its eastern extremity; there are also other streets branching from the main street with large and populous suburbs.
An extensive retail trade and much country business are transacted, as the town is surrounded by rich, fertile and populous country. The necessities of life are abundant. Turf bogs in detached situations, and extensive collieries, six miles distant, afford a good supply of fuel.
The ruins of seven castles were to be seen within the last twenty years; there are at present the remains of three, with those of a large mansion , lately the residence of the Landaff family. In 1300 a monastery for Carmalites or White Friars, the tower which still exists, was founded here by the family of Butler.
This town gave the title of Earl to the noble family of Ormond. The public buildings are numerous and respectable. A large and stately sessions house stands in the centre of the town, and in an adjoining street has lately been erected, at the cost of several thousand pounds, a spacious gaol, or bridewell. The church is a small but neat building, with a well inclosed yard, and the chapel, which cost 10,000l. is one of the largest and most handsome structures of the kind in Ireland; the interior is magnificent, and about to receive the valuable addition of an organ.
There are two convents, situated near the chapel. In each of which a great number of poor female children are taught needlework and other useful branches of industry, as also reading and writing.
There is also an establishment of monks, who devote their time to the instructions of four hundred boys, on the Lancastrian system, and the number is daily increasing; this most benevolent institution is solely supported by public subscription.
In the Ursaline Convent a large number of young ladies from Dublin, Cork, and other parts of Ireland, are received as boarders, and instructed on every polite accomplishment. The house is most delightfully situated on the banks of the river Suir, and the gardens are beautifully and tastefully laid out, and enclosed by a wall of moderate height. In this establishment there are twenty nuns, who have a private entrance to a commodious gallery in the chapel, to attend divine service.
The Presentation order are about to erect a superior and commodious place of residence; the present establishment consists of a superioress and seven nuns.
Thurles is rapidly increasing in wealth and importance, and a unanimity and good will exist between all classes of society rarely to be met with. Sessions are held here twice a year, besides weekly petty sessions, at which the resident and neighbouring magistrates preside.
The ruins of the famous abbey of Holy Cross are distant from Thurles three miles on the road to Cashel; they are of the most beautiful and interesting description.The account we have of the origin of this monument of antiquity, is, that Murtough, monarch of Ireland, and grandson of Brien Boru, having received from Pope Pascal II, in 1110, a gift of a piece of the Cross, covered with gold and ornamented with precious stones, determined to found a monastery, and dedicated it to the Holy Cross, which he began but did not live to finish. Donald O’Brien completed the church and abbey in 1169; he was king of North Munster, and his monument is still to be seen.
The market is held on Saturday, and there are fairs on the first Tuesday in very month, on Easter Monday, the 21st of August, and the 21st of December.”
The brothers, Daniel and William Cormack, from Loughmore Co Tipperary were publicly hanged outside Nenagh Gaol on May 11, 1858 after being found guilty of the murder of John Ellis, a land agent in Loughmore.
Daniel and William always maintained that they had played no part in the crime, and they were supported by some 2,357 people who signed a petition protesting the brothers’ innocence. The commonly held view at the time was that a local landlord had shot Ellis in a crime of passion involving Ellis’ sister, and that the Cormack brothers had been framed for murder.
Motivated by growing unease at the convictions and executions, a petition was organized for presentation to Parliament that requested the setting up of an inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the conviction of the Cormack Brothers and into the administration of criminal justice in Ireland generally.
Andrew Darmody Hollyford, Darby Darmody Hollyford, George Darmody Moyne,
John Darmody Holycross, John Darmody Clerihan, Owen Darmody Hollyford, Thomas Darmody Hollyford, Tobias Darmody Hollyford, Jeremiah Darmody signed the petition.
Fannings who signed this petition were Daniel Fanning Thurles, Jeffry Fanning Thurles, William Fanning Thurles, Edward Fanning Drom, John Fanning Drom, Thomas Fanning Drom, Edward (Edmond) Fanning Two-Mile-Borris, Edmond Fanning Two-Mile-Borris, John Fanning New Birmingham, Joseph Fanning Moycarkey, William Fanning Moyne, William Fanning Roscrea, John Fanning Borrisoleigh.
In 1910 Daniel and William’s remains were removed from Nenagh Gaol and brought home to Loughmore in a major ceremony, with two hearses drawn by plumed horses and followed by huge crowds. After the procession arrived in the village, the Cormack brothers were buried in a large mausoleum in the local churchyard, where people still go to see the original oak coffins and the inscription proclaiming the brothers’ innocence.