Descriptions in Bassett’s Directory 1889 of Littleton, Horse and Jockey and Two-Mile-Borris, Co Tipperary, Ireland:
“Littleton, Thurles .
Population 157 in 1881- Trout fishing
Littleton, in the parish of Two Mile Borris, barony of Eliogarty, is 4 miles south-east of Thurles. The land of the district is used chiefly for tillage. Barley, Oats, potatoes, and turnips are the principal crops. In the district there are ruins of Ballybeg castle, the old church of Ballymoreen, and the remains of a large Danish fort at Ballydavid.
Catholic Churches at Moycarkey and Two-Mile-Borris.
Borris in 1818
Two Mile Borris, Thurles
Two Mile Borris is a village of 20 houses, in the parish of the same name. barony of Eliogarty, 3 miles, Irish, east by south from Thurles. The land of the district is good for pasture and tillage. There are remains of castles at Two Mile Borris and Coolcroo.
Catholic Ch., Priests, see Horse and Jockey and Littleton
Horse and Jockey, Thurles
Horse and Jockey, a village of 6 houses, in the parish of Moycarkey, barony of Eliogarty, is a station on the Southern Railway, 5 3/4 miles, English, south-east of Thurles. The land of the district has a limestone basis, and is good for pasture and tillage. It is excellent sheep country. There are extensive remains of the castle of Moycarkey, on the estate of Mr. John Max. It was at one time occupied as the residence of the Cantwell family, and has a large square tower, with high surrounding wall. A fissure in the tower was caused by lightning over a hundred years ago. There are remains also of Granna(? )Castle, on the estate of Mr James Myers. The village of Ballinure, 6 houses, 3 3/4 miles, Irish, to the south, is part of the postal district of Horse and Jockey. Catholic Church”