Fannings and Darmodys in the Religious Census 1766 Co Tipperary Ireland

Fanning and Darmody entries in the Religious Census of 1766 for Co Tipperary Ireland.

The largest religious census was undertaken in 1766. Each Church of Ireland minister was asked to provide a listing of all members of each denomination in his parish.

The number after the name gives the number of people in the household.

Parish of Donoghil (Tipperary South)1766 : Michael Darmody, Thomas Darmody, Walter Darmody, James Darmody

Parish of Killevinogue: Thomas Darmody 6, John Darmody 4, William Darmody 3.

Parish of Knockgraffon (Tipperary South): Mich Fanning, John Fanning

Parish of Mealiffe or Moyaliffe (6 miles S.W. from Thurles): David Fannin 6, David Fannin.

Cullen, Soloheadmore, Soloheadbeg and Cluggin. 1766: Jonathan Darmody.

United parishes of Latin, Bruis, Shronill, Corrogue, Clonpet & Cordangan -,Civil Parishes in South Tipperary. Adjoining names will be neighbours: John Ryan, Timothy Nihill, William Ryan, James Giffin [Griffin], Richard Molowny, Daniel Ryan, John Shehane [Sheehan], Daniel Ryan, William Fannin, William Pendergast, Darby Murphy, James Murphy, Thomas Glasheen, Cornelius Raverty, Malachy Dunnavane, John Hackett, Roger Corbet, Darby Reardon, Pat Comenane (Cummin], Richard Power, John Fannin, Robert Fannin.

Parish of Newchapel: John Faning.

Full lists are at Religious Census 1766 IGP

Fanning and Darmody Tithe Payers and Defaulters 1815-1837, Co Tipperary Ireland

Fannings and Darmodys of Co Tipperary Ireland who paid tithes between 1815 and 1837 and those who in 1831 defaulted on the payment of tithes.

Tithes (meaning a tenth) were levies collected in support of a church, which could be a single church or all churches of one faith. In Ireland from the 1500s to the 1800s, tithes were taxes on the agricultural system to support the Church of Ireland. Tithes made everyone cross, for many reasons. Those who were Catholic or Presbyterian resented the contribution to the established church. Land proprietors resented the impact of tithes on rents.

Tithes existed in Ireland as long ago as the 1100s, giving support to monasteries. The system that came to be resented so much was formalized in law in 1541. In 1736 legislation exempted pasture from the calculation so the burden fell upon farmers who cultivated the soil. Not all tithes went to the Church of Ireland; in 1832 a little over 15% went to “lay” (non-religious) tithe owners who acquired the right to collect tithes at the dissolution of the monasteries.

By the early 1800s resentment had become very serious. Tithes had been part of the cause of rural unrest in the late 1700s; in the 1830s, the disruptions came to be called the Tithe War. The campaign against tithes began in County Kilkenny and spread quickly to other counties. By 1833, more than half the tithes due in 22 counties had not been paid. Many landowners supported non-payment because legislation of 1823 restored pastureland to the calculation. The resistance became violent, and some deaths occurred among protestors and police.

Faced with an impossible situation, the authorities stopped trying to enforce payment and clergymen without income could apply for relief. In 1838 the tithe ceased to be paid by occupiers and landlords were levied a “rent charge.” The problem completely disappeared at the disestablishment of the Church of Ireland (1869).

The Tithe Composition Act, passed in 1823, set out the process by which the tithe was converted to a monetary payment due twice a year. Property value was assessed, meetings were held in parishes, and records made of all those who were to make the payments. These are the Tithe Applotment Books.

At the time of the Tithe War any clergyman applying for relief was required to report on the situation in his parish including the names of all those who had failed to pay–the tithe defaulters. Lists of roughly 30,000 defaulters survive. ” From Ancestry.com article by Sherry Irvine

Fanning, Fannin & Darmody Entries in the Co Tipperary Tithe Applotment Books : A-R-P = Acres, Rods & Perches (Irish) H, O, L, G = House, Office, Land, Garden.

Ballymurreen Civil Parish 1827, Thurles Poor Law Union:  Joseph Fanning, Parkstown .

Bruis Civil Parish 1832: Robert Fanning of Mount Bruis Townland.

Cordangan Civil Parish 1835: John Fannin of Lacken.

Fertiana Civil Parish 1825:  Richard Fannin, Turtulla ,  Widow Fannin, Turtulla .

Civil Parish of Inch  William Fannin, my ancestor who is buried in Ballycahill Cemetery.

Tithe Applotment Book Lissaroon Wm Fannin
Tithe Applotment Book entry for Lissaroon in Inch Parish

Civil Parish of Inch Widow Burke alias Fannin

Parish of Kilfithmone – 1823-1824 Philip Darmody,  Ballinlonty, Land 1 acre1 perch; Catherine Darmody, Land 1 acre; Catherine Darmody, House, Office, Land 10 acres, 2 perches; Philip Darmody,  House, Office, Land {21/3/27} 10 acres, 2 perches.

1826-Darby? Darmody Fishmoyne, Wm Darmody Ballinlonty, Wm Darmody Ballinlonty.

1834-1837 Daniel Darmody Kilfithmone, William Darmody Kilfithmone.

Civil Parish of Kilmurry 1834: Patrick Fanning Ballinamona Townland.

Parish of Knockgraffon 1826 : Patrick (Mary) Fanning of Loughkent, William Fanning of Donegal.

Parish of Loughmore West April 1827: Michael Darmody Ballybrista,  Denis Darmody Killahara,  Philip Darmody Killahara, Edward Fanning Carraig-Loughmore,  John Fanning Clondoty.

Loughmore East of River Suir: Edw. Darmody Graiguefrehane, Nicholas Fanning Graiguefrehane,  Michael Fanning Killenleigh.

Parish of Loughmore East otherwise Callabegs Earl of Carrick April 1825: John Fanen Gurthreagh, Patrick Fanen Skeogh, Patrick. Fanen Skeogh.

Civil Parish of Mora 1824: John Fanning of Ballanattin Upper.

Parish of Moyaliff 1837 : John Fanning, Rossmult.

Moycarky Civil Parish 1829:  Joseph Fannin, Drumgower, Lawrence Fannin, Graigue, William Fannin, Graigue,  William Fannin Kilnoe.

Civil Parish of Moyne 1828: James Fanning of Moyne Temple, James Fanning of Lisdonolly.

Civil Parish of Nenagh 1828: Ned Fanning of Spout Road.

Tithe Applotments Roscrea Civil Parish, no date given:Ml Darmody Killavilla, Ml Darmody  Killavilla, Ml Darmody Benaghmore District, Pierce Darmody, Pierce Darmody Benaghmore District , Pierce Darmody Carrick ,  Pierce Darmody Killavilla, Edwd Fanning Big Matt House District,  Patt Fanning Ballychary, Patt Fanning Streamstown.

Parish of Templeree c 1823: John Fanin Gurtadanagan

Civil Parish of Templtouhy 1815-1821: Richard Fanning of Lisdaleen

Tithe Applotment Entries 1833, Thurles Civil Parish: Casontown ? Edward Fanning, Brittas Road or North West Suburb, James Fanning Casontown, John Fanning Knockroe, John Fanning Tooreen, Michael Fanning Castle Hounie?, Michael Fanning Commons, Patk Fanning Bawntameena, Pat Fanning?, Bawntameena, Pat Fanning?

Parish of Upperchurch c 1829/30: Jeremiah Darmody Moher.

Tithe Defaulters

Civil Parish of Inch: Edmond Fannin, farmer, Townland of Buckley Islands, 1831

Widow Burke alias Fannin, farmer, Inch, 1831

Edmond Callanan & John Cullinan, Upper Dovea.

Townland of Lissaroon: John Cormac,  Patrick Banan, William Purcell, William Carroll, Patrick Ryan, William Fannin, farmer, Thomas Cormac, Edmond Purcell, John Purcell, William Purcell, Walter Purcel.

Civil Parish of Kilfithmone: Daniel Darmody 1831  Fishmoyne, William Darmody Ballinlonty 1831.

Civil Parish of Kilmurry1831, Patrick Fanning, farmer, Ballynamona .

Civil Parish of Thurles 1831: Michael Fanning, farmer, Thurles; Patrick Fanning, farmer, Thurles; Patrick Fanning, farmer, Seskin; John Fanning, farmer, Seskin; Michael Fanning, farmer, Leighmore (Loughmore?); Oliver Fanning, farmer, Race Course; Michael Fanning, farmer, Toureen.

Civil Parish of Moycarkey 1831: William Fannin farmer, Kilno; Joseph Fannin, farmer, Drumgour; William Fannin, farmer, Grague.

These  records came from The IrelandGenWeb Project and ancestry.com.

Fannings in The Hearth Money Rolls 1665 to 1667 Co Tipperary Ireland

The names of Fannings in the Hearth Money Rolls of 1665-67 Co Tipperary Ireland. These lists consist of the names of householders who paid the hearth tax introduced in 1662 which was a tax of two shillings for every fire, heath or stove.

The Hearth Money Rolls “contain the muster roll of the inhabitants of Tipperary five years after the restoration of Charles II and thirteen years after the surrender of the last organised Irish forces. The Hearth Money Tax was introduced soon after the return of Charles II as it afforded a convenient instrument for extracting the last farthing from a defeated race.” (Thomas Laffan).

The Bishop of Cashel and Emly, Rev. Dr. Thomas Fennelly wrote an introduction to Thomas Laffan’s “Hearth Money Records” and this is part of what he wrote:

” They are intstructive in this – that they bear testimony to a remarkable historical fact, illustrating the tenacity with which the Irish people clung to the soil of their native land, in spite of the repeated efforts of the Invader to allienate them from it.

These lists were drawn up less than twenty years after the slaughter connected with the Cromwellian war, and the clearances effected by the Cromwellian Settlement, and the wonder is that any Irish names appear on them. But, singular to relate, the vast majority of the names are those of the native Irish. In the Cromwellian Settlement the Irish Inhabitants, except a few of the labouring class, were ordered to depart to Connaught, where possessions were assigned to them in lieu of those from which they were expelled, and their former holdings were parcelled out amongst the Cromwellian soldiers and adventurers. In this way the whole of the County Tipperary was taken from its lawful owners, and carefully allotted to English and Scotch settlers, proportionately to the nature of the services rendered, or the money subscribed to the expenses of the war.

The names of the new occupiers are given at length in “Prendergast’s Cromwellian Settlement” and, comparing them with these lists, it can be seen that the Cromwellian soldiers and adventurers had almost entirely disappeared in the brief interval, and the Tipperarymen were back again in the homes of their ancestors. The short tenure of these merciless plunderers can be attributed mainly to the following causes:-First, they were unused to farming, and therefore they had neither the skill nor the industry which was essential to the successful cultivation of the soil. Secondly, they were located on separate portions of land, and in that way they became easy prey to those dashing spirits, who did not go to Connaught, but took to the mountains and the bogs, whence they made nightly incursions into the neighbouring farms, and abstracted from them cattle and corn and other portable goods. This annoyance was too much for the late comers, and to avoid it they sold out their goods and departed. Thirdly, many of the Cromwellian landlords kept the native Irish as tenants, irrespective of the law of Transportation. To these may be added sevearl minor causes, amongst them being the protection of the Ormonde family, which regained its ascendancy after the stormy times had passed away. But, notwithstanding all explanation, it is very singular that  plot designed and executed with such systematic care should have completely failed in so short a period, and that the native Irish were back again on the soil that belonged to them by the Law of Nations and by immemorial Right.”

The Hearth Money Act 1662 provided that there was to be a tax of two shillings “for every fire, hearth, or other place used for fireing and stoves ” (Laffan). The rolls consist of the names of householder who paid the hearth tax, it is arranged on a county, parish and townland basis.

Tipperary is almost unique in the Irish counties in having her rolls complete.

1665 Baronia de Middle Third:

Parochia de Drangan: Edmond Fanning 1hearth 2 shillings.

1666-1667 Barony of Middlethird:

Parish of Drangan:

Morrish Fanning, Ballynenaine 1h 2s, Edmond Fanninge Newtowne 1h, Edmond Faninge Preistowne 1h;

Parishes of Clonoone, Coolemududy and St Augustine: Ballyhomack: Edmond Fanninge Ballynad 1h

Baronia de Elliogurty and Ikyryn:

Parochia de Borresliegh and Ballyomurrine: David Faning 1h 2s; Thos. Faning 1h 2s.

Parish of Bourny: Thomas Fanninge Lughmockerock 1h 2s.

Baronia de Slieverdagh and Comasy:

Parochia de Kyllenayle: Thomas Fanning, Kylleny 1h 2s.

Parochia de Ballyngarry:

Geoffry Faning, Ballyngarry, 2h 4s.

Glangall and Beallaghboy Villages: David Fanning de Fearanrory 1h 2s. John Faning, Ballynsagirt 1h 2s. Thos. Faning, Ballynsagirt 1h 2s.

Gortfree and Garrynagree Villages: William Faning de Kyllmokenage 1h 2sGeffry Faning 1h 2s

Parochia de Lishmallyn: James Faninge Ikyrn 1h 2s. Island and Gragagh Villages: Richard Faning 1h 2s,

Baronia de Owney and Arrar:

Parochia de Killvelan: Lawrence Faning, de hills 1h 2s

Parish of Killvelane Lawrence Fanning Towlo 2h and an oven.

Barony of Clanwilliam:

Parish of Clony Pett  Jeoffry Fanning, Breanshae and Ballynuntye 1h

Barony of Slevardagh:

Parish of Bowlicke: Nicholas Fannyng, Clonamicon 1h, Jeoffrey Fanning,Esquire, Ballingarry, 3h,an oven and a kilne 10s, Thomas Fanninge 1h Ballintaggart, Thomas Fanning, Cappah, 1h

Parish of Lismalin Richard Fanninge, Mohubbur, 2h 4s, Mary Fanninge, Mohubbur, 1h 2s

Parish of Killinainvan and Modeshello: Jeoffrey Fannyng, Ballyvadlea 1 h 2s

Barony of  Owney and  Arrar:

Parish of Bourney Thomas Fanninge Lughmockerock 1h,

Parish of Killevelane (in Owny) Lawrence Fanning, Towloe, 2h and an oven, 6s.

The Hearth Money Rolls for 1665-6-7 online free at Ask About Ireland.

Fanning Listings in Penders Census 1659 Co Tipperary Ireland

Fannings listed in Penders Census of Ireland 1659 for Co Tipperary Ireland.

Census of Ireland 1659 was compiled by Sir William Petty and edited by Seamus Pender. It gave the names of those who held title to the land and the total number of persons resident in each townland.

The format was as follows : Parishes, Townlands, Numbers of People Tituladoes Names: Eng. (Scotts) Irish. It gives the names of those who held title to the land and the total number of persons (English and Irish) resident in each townland, it also lists the principal Irish names in each barony and their number. According to Pender the term “Titulado” is best explained as referring to the principal person or persons of standing in any particular locality; such a person could have been of either sex, a nobleman, baronet, gentleman, esquire, military officer, or adventurer. The returns also give the names and numbers of the principal Irish, by barony.

In the Barony of Sleavordagh in Penders’ Census 1659, C0. Tipperary there are 31 Fanninges listed under “Principall Irish Names their Number”. The number of people in this Barony being 307 English and 2101 Irish.

In the Parish of Ballingarry at the place Mohobbur are 23 people and at the place Ballingarry there are 53. The Tituladoes or principal occupiers being Jeffery Fannying Esq and William Fannyng gent.

In the Parish of Killenule at the place Killeens there are 22 people with the tituladoe being Thomas Fannynge gent.

In Middlethird Barony there are 10 Faninges living.

Penders Census 1659 covering Co Tipperary can be viewed on The IrelandGenWeb Project site.

Fannings Who Signed the Parnell Testimonial 1883 Co Tipperary Ireland

Joseph and Philip Fanning of Moycarkey signed the Parnell Testimonial in 1883 as did Jeremiah and Patrick Darmody.

The Parnell Testimonial was a national collection taken up by the Irish people in support of Charles Stewart Parnell, the leader of the Irish Home Rule Party.

Joseph Fanning and Philip Fanning, both of Moycarkey-Borris Parish signed the Parnell Testimonial. Jeremiah Darmody of Moycarkey-Borris and Patrick Darmody of Gortnahoe-Glengoole Parish also signed.

These names are from a list of contributors from the Parish of Moycarkey-Borris published in the Tipperary Leader April 18, 1883.

Fanning and Darmody the Cormack Petition 1858 Co Tipperary Ireland

A list of Co Tipperary Fanning and Darmody signatories to the Cormack Petition 1858.

The brothers, Daniel and William Cormack, from Loughmore Co Tipperary were publicly hanged outside Nenagh Gaol on May 11, 1858 after being found guilty of the murder of John Ellis, a land agent in Loughmore.

Daniel and William always maintained that they had played no part in the crime, and they were supported by some 2,357 people who signed a petition protesting the brothers’ innocence. The commonly held view at the time was that a local landlord had shot Ellis in a crime of passion involving Ellis’ sister, and that the Cormack brothers had been framed for murder.

Motivated by growing unease at the convictions and executions, a petition was organized for presentation to Parliament that requested the setting up of an inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the conviction of the Cormack Brothers and into the administration of criminal justice in Ireland generally.

Andrew Darmody Hollyford, Darby Darmody Hollyford, George Darmody Moyne,
John Darmody Holycross, John Darmody Clerihan, Owen Darmody Hollyford, Thomas Darmody Hollyford, Tobias Darmody Hollyford, Jeremiah Darmody signed the petition.

Fannings who signed this petition were Daniel Fanning Thurles, Jeffry Fanning Thurles, William Fanning Thurles, Edward Fanning Drom, John Fanning Drom, Thomas Fanning Drom, Edward (Edmond) Fanning Two-Mile-Borris, Edmond Fanning Two-Mile-Borris, John Fanning New Birmingham, Joseph Fanning Moycarkey, William Fanning Moyne, William Fanning Roscrea, John Fanning Borrisoleigh.

The complete Cormack Petition list.

In 1910 Daniel and William’s remains were removed from Nenagh Gaol and brought home to Loughmore in a major ceremony, with two hearses drawn by plumed horses and followed by huge crowds. After the procession arrived in the village, the Cormack brothers were buried in a large mausoleum in the local churchyard, where people still go to see the original oak coffins and the inscription proclaiming the brothers’ innocence.

Source for this list was from: http://www.censusfinder.com/irish-census-records5.htm

 

 

Diary of Nicholas W. Schenck 1830 to 1916

Gives the immediate ancestry of Edmund Fanning (1650-1683),The Immigrant Ancestor, who settled in Connecticut and traces his descendants in America.

The immediate ancestry of Edmund Fanning, the American Immigrant Ancestor, and  his descendants in America is traced in the diary of Nicholas Schenck.

Nicholas W. Schenck (1830-1916) was the son of Eliza Ann Fanning and William Schenck. He was born in Brooklyn, NY on January 8, 1830. The family moved to Wilmington NC in May 1836 after the death of his father and lived with an uncle, Phineas Fanning. Schenck lived in Wilmington until 1865 and visited often until his death in 1916. The diary was written around 1905 and recalls Wilmington before and after the civil war.

Nicholas W. Schenck Diary: “The American – Fanning Line’ written c 1905

“The first Fanning who came to this country was Edmund Fanning – born in Ireland in (about)1620 – of the Fannings in Ireland – Limerick, Tipperary, Kilkinny, Clare – the name is on record from 13th Century to confutation under Cromwell in 1652. Vast estates were established to the Fannings.

Edmund – the emigrant American ancestor – who settled in Connecticut about 1653 was the son of Francis Fanning, 1841 Mayor of Limerick, Ireland – Connaught Certification Office of Exchequer, Dublin. His name is given as Fitz – Francis Fanning. Fit-Francis means son of Francis – Fitz is French or Norman meaning ‘son of ____’.

This Edmund or Edmond – emigrated to America in 1653 (authority) of John O’Hart, Edmund Irish antiquity and author of Irish Peogries – Clentus of Ireland and is found at Fisher Island in 1655 and 1657, later at Groton – Connecticut (near New London) 1664 – now called Ledyard – where he had a farm called Groton Farm – which remained in possession of family for 150 years – where he lived until his death in 1683. “