Terence McGuire was the only son of Terence McGuire and Mary Ann Gormley. He had a sister, Mary Ann who became a sister of the Good Samaritans. She became Rev Mother Mary Coleman. She died in Sydney in 1963.
He was born at Moree, New South Wales, on September, 1881. His father Dr Terence McGuire was a doctor. He died young at the age of 34.
As a young man he studied for the priesthood at St. Patrick’s College, Manly (Sydney), and at Propaganda Fide College in Rome. He was ordained in Rome on 19th March, 1904.
After many years of service within the diocese of Lismore he was consecrated as Bishop of Townsville in the Sacred Heart Cathedral on 25th May, 1930.
Among his many achievements as Bishop of Townsville was the establishment of St. Teresa’s Agricultural College, Abergowrie, in 1933, and St. Anne’s Mission on Palm Island in 1934.
The Canberra Times, 14 June 1948, describes the ceremony conferring the title and role of Canberra’s first Archbishop on Bishop Terence Bernard McGuire.
Cardinal Gilroy described Archbishop McGuire as being “noted for his culture, administrative ability, oratory and wit, but these qualities of the mind were surpassed by the qualities of his heart which had won the affection of all his friends.”
Bishop McGuire died at Lewisham Private Hospital, Sydney on 4th July 1957.”
The catholic career of Terence McGuire:
17 Sept 1881 Born Moree, NSW
19 Mar 1904 Ordained Priest of Lismore
12 Feb 1930 Appointed Bishop of Townsville
25 May 1930 Ordained Bishop of Townsville
14 June 1938 Appointed Bishop of Goulburn
5 Feb 1948 Appointed Archbishop of Canberra and Goulburn
16 Nov 1953 Resigned Archbishop of Canberra and Goulburn
16 Nov 1953 Appointed Titular Archbishop of Leontopolis in Augustamnica
4 July 1957 Died Archbishop Emeritus of Canberra and Goulburn
Archbishop Terrence McGuire ‘s body was moved from Goulburn in 1972. It is now buried in the crypt of St Christopher’s Cathedral in Manuka, Canberra.